Parenting Tips and Suggestions
Top Ten Tips for Helping Your Student Succeed at KU
- Encourage your student to visit the KU Writing Center and the resources of the Academic Achievement and Access Center (AAAC).
- Suggest your student become involved in one of the many clubs and organizations on campus. To learn more about student involvement visit the Student Involvement & Leadership Center.
- Share your expectation about alcohol/drug choices. To learn more visit College Drinking Prevention.
- Talk to your student about finances, budgeting and credit card usage. To learn more about personal finance visit Student Money Management Services.
- Encourage your student to think about a career and a major. To learn more about finding a major and the many career choices visit the Advising Center.
- Keep the lines of communication open; yet, let them become their own problem solver. To learn more about your new role read this article.
- Visit your student and let him or her show you their new home.
- Expect your student to change while at KU. Learn more about the effect college has on a student.
- Remind your student about the importance of going to class and being prepared. Learn more about academic success.
- If you think your student needs more help than you can give long distance, remind them that successful students use campus resources, including the Counseling and Psychological Services.